Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Does diet affect your happiness?

One of my favorite things in this world is to find delicious food and eat it. Ever since I can remember, I have always been on a quest for the best food I could find. In fact, my wife and I had a goal that when I retire, we'd travel the world with the sole purpose that we'd find the best food on earth.
That being said, I had quite the epiphony about food a few weeks ago (about a week or two into my first beachbody program Focus T25). I'll get into that epiphony after giving you a little more background.
I never could understand how people could be so devoted to being healthy that they'd give up the joy of so many different types of food to maintain their health. Whenever people would talk to me about it my response was always something along the lines of "no thanks, I like to enjoy life". Food being one of my biggest pleasures in life made it seem impossible to enjoy life without those foods.
Then I started Focus T25 and when I started, I decided beforehand that if I'm going to do it, then I have to do it 100%. I figured if I didn't give it 100%, including the diet part, then I wouldn't be able to blame the program for not getting results. If I follow the program perfectly then I'll either get the wanted results, or worst case scenario, I don't get results but at least I can blame it on the program. So I decided to put my love for food aside for the 10 weeks and then resume life as normal if it didn't work.
The epiphony came after giving it all a try for just a few weeks. I noticed that I was sleeping MUCH better. I felt happier on a regular basis. I had more energy for much longer periods of time. For example, I could make it through the whole day without wanting to collapse and go to sleep at 6pm. I was getting more done at work. I could think more clearly. Plus, my opinion of what qualifies as "good" food started to change. I guess my pallett adjusted or something. When all of those things dawned on me, I realized that my motto of "no thanks, I like to enjoy life" should never have been my response to living healthy. On the contrary. "No thanks. I like to enjoy life" should be my response to eating unhealthy food and being lazy so that I CAN enjoy life to it's fullest!
My eating habits were playing a major role in most of the tings that I complained about and now my eating habits are playing a major role in correcting those things that I was unhappy about. It doesn't fix everything in my life but it certainly makes it easier for me to fix everything I can when I feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment