Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Why and HOW we need help!



I'm in a very unique position that is full of both difficulties and blessings. If you're reading this, then you probably already know that my wife suffers from an extremely rare form of Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. It has caused her health to decline steadily for the past 2 1/2 years. We kept on thinking that it couldn't get worse but then lo and behold, it would...and still does get worse.
The most common symptom of EDS (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome) is joints subluxing and dislocating. Enedinas joints have slowly gotten weaker and it's moved from one joint to the next to the point of where it is now...where just about EVERY joint in her body will slip in and out on a regular basis, causing her a lot of pain, and dramatically limiting the activities that she would do otherwise. As a result of all of this, I have had a lot of extra responsibility placed upon my shoulders.
Any caregiver can tell you that taking care of another adult human being is a daunting task. At first I assumed that it was going to be a temporary thing and that after it was over, we'd resume life as normal. Then the realization came that it wasn't likely going away. Then we FINALLY got a diagnosis of Ehlers Danlos Syndrome with the prognosis being "there is nothing we can do except treat symptoms". Much to our chagrin, her particular situation wouldn't let her treat the symptoms in the way in which the doctors thought was best. Pain meds caused serious digestive issues. The physical therapist and occupational therapist both ended every session in tears because everything they tried to do caused different joints to dislocate so it caused more damage than good. No surgeon will touch her because they're afraid that it'll make things even worse and accomplish no good. We tried as many natural options as we had ever heard of. Some of those things help but not enough to stop the condition from worsening. Although, the majority of things that actually help are homeopathic/natural solutions...
Anyways, the point is, we ran out of options. I had resorted to doing as much work as possible from home (thinking it was temporary) because the harsh reality is, the world didn't stop turning just because we have serious issues going on. Once we realized that it wasn't temporary, I started doing everything I could think of to make enough money to not go into more debt. I tried continuing my insurance career as much as possible from home. I became a beachbody coach and started my own business from home to try and supplement the insurance income. Sadly, I didn't do as well as I had hoped. I'm not giving up on either of those things. I absolutely LOVE beachbody programs and products and I want to help others in the way that I was helped. I spent way too much time and effort becoming a CIC designated insurance agent to just give it up. Our credit debt grew steadily. My income started getting smaller because I have less time. I have received a LOT of help from many generous people and especially from my parents. However, one of the greatest opportunities (and hopefully the solution to my financial problems) I've ever had came along this year...motivational speaking.


When I got on American Ninja Warrior, I had no idea the impact that our story would have on people. I wanted to see how I could do and my wife wanted to see it as bad as me! So I did what I had to do to get on the course. Then after everything happened and they did the whole story on us, I had an out-pouring of love and appreciation from people all over the world!
It was one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had. It was, and is, incredible! Then the biggest surprise came...I got a call from someone asking if I'd be willing to speak for money to a convention of accountants! When I was a kid, I always thought that motivational speakers had the coolest job in the world but I hadn't ever considered it a possibility for myself. Then all of a sudden, it was a reality! What?! It was like being transported to an alternate reality where people wanted to hear about our life! haha.
When I hung up the phone, the idea started building in my head that I could make this a permanent career. I realized that I could potentially make enough money to pay the bills and still have time to take care of my family. I realized that if I wanted to make an impact on the world, my job would actually BE about making an impact! I realized that my dream of one day writing a book could realistically happen if I were to be successful as a speaker.  I realized that it was almost too good to be true and I couldn't believe that I had never thought of it before!
I REALLY enjoy talking to large groups of people and I want to make this my career. My wife and I have come up with a pretty good format to share our story together. We both want to help people in any way we can. If our story can make a difference, we want to share it!
This is where I need help though. To get started, I need to get referred to different events and businesses that we could speak at. If you have any knowledge that might help us get started and are willing to share it with us, could you please contact me? Also, and especially, if you know of any events coordinators or businesses that are looking for speakers, could you refer me to them? I have decided that I will take 10% of any money I make at an event or business and give it to the person who referred me. I seriously hope that this becomes my permanent career. I have a million reasons why but I think I've shared the most important reasons of all. I want to make a difference in the world and I need a career that pays the bills and allows me the time freedom to care for my wife and 2 daughters who all have EDS. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!!!!!!! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment