Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Dreams? What's that?

When I was a kid I had some BIG dreams! I thought for SURE I'd be in the world cup at least a few times by this point in my life. I didn't just dream. I spent every single spare moment I could practicing and training. I was 12 years old and out running somewhere between 6 and 9 miles at least 3 or 4 times a week at 6 in the morning in the summer! Who does that at the age of 12? I was determined. I thought I was on my way once I got in the Olympic development program and playing in tournaments like the USA cup. We did pretty good there too! I think I was on the right path until I changed directions...
In my teens, I changed my focus from soccer to BMX. Then I had the same aspirations and determination to ride as a professional bmx rider. I had dreams and I did everything in my power to make them happen. My parents had a giant shed in the back yard and they were cool enough to let me build a bunch of ramps in it. We'd ride out in the shed all winter regardless of how cold it was. I'd seriously ride somewhere around 5 or 6 hours minimum every day. With BMX, I got to the point where I was getting in magazines and I was sponsored. I was talking to a couple companies about a paycheck when I changed my focus again and decided that my bmx life was too intertwined with partying so I made a major shift.
My point is, when I was young, I had dreams and I pursued them. I don't think I am alone in this. I had a lot of friends that spent a LOT of time pursuing their dreams as kids.
So what happened? I became an insurance agent. My best friends work for the government or for some employer that they don't particularly enjoy. I wouldn't say we're unhappy. We're just not pursuing our dreams. We've all accepted some harsh realities that not everybody is going to accomplish everything they dreamed of as kids. Some of the dreams we had may have been a little far-fetched...some not so much...but at least we pursued them.
So here's reality: Very few adults even ATTEMPT to pursue their dreams. WHY? We get so preoccupied with paying bills and running the rat race that we don't even hardily think about our dreams as adults.
I've been thinking about this a lot the last few months. My dreams aren't the same as they were 20 years ago but I have come up with a couple new dreams. I've spent the majority of the last decade running the rat race and NOT following my dreams at all. That has changed.
In some of my other blog posts I've written about why I got in shape. I'm not going into that but as a result of that, it's opened up the doors to a lot of new opportunities!  Last summer I saw another bmx rider that I know try the course on American Ninja Warrior. It got me thinking..."I'm in shape now...if he can try it, why can't I?". A new dream started to develop. I looked into it and found out that you have to submit a video to the producers and they pick people from those videos to go try the course. Well my BMX past gave me some video editing skills so I decided to go for it! I'm done accepting this idea that following dreams is a childish notion! Why? I'm MORE able now than ever to follow my dreams!

Also, as a result of beachbody being so effective for me, I became a beachbody coach. One of the main things that beachbody encourages their coaches to do is to read personal development books every day. I've been doing that for about 6 months now and it has changed my perspective on life entirely! There is a podcast that I listen to almost every day called amplified network marketing. It focuses on the reasons that network marketing (like being a beachbody coach) can be so life changing with the right tools and motivation. Every day I feel a little more inspired to make a difference in the world instead of just survive the rat race. Making enough money to live on as a beachbody coach isn't easy at first. It takes a lot of work and consistency and dedication. The difference is, it's ENJOYABLE WORK! I look forward to my daily tasks because everything is centered on bringing value to others lives! That has become another dream for me! I just want to make the world a better place! Sometimes, it's accomplished through small acts of kindness. Sometimes, through helping somebody lose a lot of weight to save their life. Sometimes, the domino effect of getting in shape physically can save marriages and other relationships. Sometimes people dig themselves out of a
giant hole of debt and find financial freedom through network marketing! All of those things make peoples lives better!
So why don't we pursue our dreams as adults? Well my answer to that is that I don't think I even realized it was the case until last year. Just like the extra weight that I hadn't noticed that came on so slowly it was unnoticeable, my dreams faded just as slowly. Once I realized it, I decided to make the necessary changes to at least ATTEMPT to follow my dreams. They say that at the end of most peoples lives, the things they regret most are the things they DIDN'T do! I don't want that to be my destiny. I want to come to the end of my life feeling like I followed my passions and feeling fulfilled as a result. Feeling like I accomplished my purpose in this life and brought joy to the world instead of being another black dot in the static on the tv screen. I want to be a light to the world and do as the scriptures teach! I WANT TO FOLLOW MY DREAMS!
Are you following your dreams or are you just running the race like most people? I challenge everyone to evaluate themselves and make any necessary (and smart) changes to live a fulfilling life. Will you do it?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment